mardi, octobre 21

1, 2, 3, green light!

Greg told me he isn't going to France, or at least I'm pretty sure that's what he said. So that leaves me two options:

1) Stay here   or   2) Continue

If you look at it from another perspective, though, it looks like this:

1) Continue   or   2) Game over

Funny how that works. Well, I have until basically Friday afternoon to decide for real whether I'll go to Japan or France next semester. In other words, do I say goodbye to Japan too soon, or do I say goodbye to France too soon?

I think I'm going to say bye-bye to Japan, which is the financially unwise move. Although the geniuses running our country with no real check from the people seem to think that as long as the Euro falls with us we're fine, I somehow don't see us falling more slowly than the Euro. Either way, what they're saying is highly shallow, and it's going to hurt me as well as anyone else studying abroad from the US this year, whether in Japan or in France. The thing is it's so easy to get good deals in Japan, and everything's good here. It's probably going to be even better if I get an apartment or a (tiny) house here by myself and have full control over the dust situation.

And I have friends here. Although I certainly hang out more with foreigners than with Japanese people here, that'll probably change. And still, a lot of the people I know will be staying for two semesters. In France, it's going to be a lot harder to meet people, particularly if they're French, because of the way the school system works there. Over here, the point of studying here is to meet Japanese people if you're not Japanese, and to meet foreigners if you are Japanese. Well, at least that's one of the big points. In France, though, I'll be taking classes in French with French people, and people generally go to and leave French classes with their friends. Hard to break through that.

Anyway, even blogging about this is taking away from my valuable Japan time, which is valuable regardless of whether I stay another semester. I thought about going to Fushimi-inari again today, because it's just that great, but yeah, I woke up late (no classes until 4 PM today!!!), and I'm blogging right now; oops. The question is whether I'll make that time even more precious or not.

I like how they force you to submit your decision on whether to stay during midterms week. I think they're trying to make people leave, haha, to clear up space for more people to come the next semester.

But I don't want to leave.

1 commentaire:

Galen a dit…

you could always come back as one of those weird gaijin English teachers. i remember reading a blog by one of them some time back. KANCHO, BERRIAN-SENSEI!!!