vendredi, septembre 12

Penultimate frisbee

I've learned about a gajillion new words recently in Japanese, and I don't know how many of them I'm going to actually use. One of them, however, is ほこり (hokori), which means dust, and I had to use that word this morning to explain to my host mother how my room is waaaay too dusty and I need to clean it tonight. I woke up at 4 AM this morning and had to sneeze for about 20 minutes. That wasn't good. Fortunately I fell asleep at like 9:30, but then I went back to sleep at like 5, woke up at 8:30 and the effect is I'm tired. Why???

Hopefully, also, I'll be able to continue in Japanese at the level I got to through the placement test. The "review test" (another test to make sure they placed you at the right level) was extremely difficult and I don't know how well I did. I know I misunderstood "coffee" as "copy" and "sugar" as someone's name. Oops.

I have sociology in less than an hour, so I need to go eat lunch. It seems like I allow an hour for almost everything here, including getting to school but excluding homework. But first let me discuss how awesome the frisbee here is.

I play with both international and Japanese guys and girls, and the Japanese guys have really beautiful throws. One of them (whose name I've already forgotten, argh) can throw a behind-the-back forehand for a touchdown no problem. He did it twice in one game. And when I was tossing with them, they were taking about making their フォーム(form) きれい(kirei), which means beautiful. And they probably have the smoothest throws I've ever seen.

And, lunch.

Edit: Oh, yes, I forgot what throws we were practicing. We were practicing our lefty forehands, none of us lefties, of course. And guess what? The two Japanese guys got it pretty much right away. And today, I tried again and came nowhere close to accomplishing it. Imagine if ultimate became an olympic sport dominated by Japan! They'll have to lower the price of frisbees from 2100円 first, though... because that's just about 20 dollars. (You could probably buy a frisbee online and get it shipped from the US for less.)
Alex

Aucun commentaire: