vendredi, novembre 21

Dance & Dance Revolution

On Tuesdays, I have 6 hours of free time in between two classes. So this Tuesday I decided to use one of those hours to eat lunch and the other five to go to Osaka and play DDR.

I took the Keihan from 枚方市 (Hirakata-shi) to 淀屋橋 (Yodoyabashi) and switched to the 地下鉄 (chikatetsu, subway) which I took to 難波 (Namba). From there I walked about twenty minutes to Game Amuseum next to the Loft department store, and le voilà, a DDR machine. Outside.

On a slope. A slight slope but a slope nonetheless. But the great part was that they had four speakers slightly offset from the four corners of the pad set, and because the machine wasn't inside the arcade itself, it was just the DDR music from those speakers and the whoosh of the autumn wind that you heard in this peaceful corner of an otherwise noisy city.

It was 100 yen per play, per play three songs. Nothing new. Supernova 2: the newest DDR machine out there. By no means the best, and probably the worst, but it'll do. The good speakers made everything so much better. They replaced the usual machine speakers that just don't do it for Supernova 2's questionable music selection. Now either the buttons on the pads didn't press down far enough or the slope made playing a little awkward. But that was okay. I got to see the wind blow these small, small leaves off of a couple of trees about twenty footsteps away. It was so beautiful, it deserved a picture. I didn't take one, though, as I was in the middle of a round and I couldn't get my camera out. But I have the memory of it in my head, and that I cherish.

Inside, upstairs there was a machine too. That one had a camera behind it, and it seems that you could've gone up to the desk and asked them to tape you and paid however much for a video of yourself playing DDR. Awesome. It looked like a pretty good deal, too; the camera was well-positioned and the video quality was tight. But not today, I said. I got out and left, well-exercised.

I walked along some train line, possibly the JR, and came across a shop that really wanted to be a bagel shop. It was called "BAGEL & BAGEL." And let me tell you, if there's one thing I really miss from Japan, it's bagels. And oh my heavens--that cinnamon raisin bagel was incredibly delicious. A little softer than the usual Dunkin Donuts cinnamon raisin bagel, and I'm not sure whether that made it better, because doubtlessly the amount of time I've been away from them probably added to the heavenly nature of the taste. But it was so great. And there was a nice chocolate chip cookie I bought in addition with it. I've had chocolate chip cookies very frequently over the past month, ever since I discovered they had packages of them at various convenience stores, so it wasn't exactly the same experience as the bagel was. Good nonetheless. Eventually I came to wish I had bought another bagel.

And then I came back slightly late, quite satisfied, for my economics class. I love Japan.

1 commentaire:

el ashish a dit…

yeah, sometimes i do the same thing - pay about $100 for a bus to syracuse, get there in two hours, find a ddr machine in some slum, play for 5 minutes at $5 a pop and then come back home

well, not realistically. if only...